Information on open positions will be posted here when available
Current Open Positions:
Postdoctoral Position at Harvard University: Center for Nanoscale Systems
The Harvard University Center for Nanoscale Systems invites applications for a Postdoctoral appointment in Scanning Probe Microscopy and Spectroscopy. CNS offers excellent opportunities for advanced research and study using the centers wide array of instrumentation and nanofabrication tools to explore Quantum Materials and Systems. More information is available here.
Biological Imaging Scientist/Engineer
This person will be responsible for biological electron microscopy, support, and training and to provide direct research support for the faculty and the researchers at the Center for Nanoscale Systems. This person will also be directly responsible for overseeing the maintenance and operation of several electron microscopes in the facility. Must be fully proficient in the operation of Transmission Electron Microscopes (TEM) and Scanning Electron microscopes (SEM). Maintenance of the biological sample preparation facility and must be fully proficient in biological sample preparation techniques for electron microscopy such as; ultra-microtome, critical point dryer and the CEVS plunge freeze system.
Must also be proficient in biological sample preparation such as staining, negative staing, fixation and embedding samples both for SEM and TEM observation. Independently perform scientific investigative procedures requiring application of professional judgment. Interpret experimental results and determine whether they are consistent with experimental goals. Review pertinent literature for information that will further research goals. Prepare reports of research, protocols and SOP’s. Must be willing to have BL2 certification and work with bloodborn pathogens and keep current with required safety training. Actively contribute to the research results of the facility and have an active role in project development and execution including managing routine aspects of research projects. Identify and work toward solutions of methodological problems, and train others in complex technical protocols and use of equipment. This person will also be charge of educational outreach activities regarding biological imaging.
More information on this position and how to apply can be found here.
Employment opportunities of general interest to the CNS community will be posted here when information becomes available.
Postdoctoral Research Associate | NUANCE Center, Keck-II Facility
Northwestern University – Evanston, IL
A Postdoctoral Research Associate position is immediately available at Northwestern University in the area advanced surface science.
Duties of the Position: The ideal candidate will endeavor to develop informed and well-trained user base in advanced surface science analysis and related sample preparation and characterization instruments; will participate in user training, hands-on technical assistance, development of professional and short-courses, and overall facility development to increase the visibility and utilization of the XPS, ToF-SIMS, and related instruments to enhance scholarly activities.
The candidate will conduct their work in the Northwestern University Atomic and Nanoscale Characterization Experimental (NUANCE) Center, lead member of the Midwest node of NSF’s National Nanotechnology Coordinated Infrastructure network; the SHyNE Resource houses the most comprehensive sample preparation and atomic-nanoscale characterization capabilities for soft, hard and hybrid structures. Besides the independent research work, the candidate has opportunities to collaborate with many excellent research groups in the department of Material Science and Engineering, Chemistry and other fields.
Requirements – The preferred candidate will:
· have obtained a doctoral degree in Physical Science/Engineering.
· have a strong background in surface analysis
· be proficient in surface analysis methods including: XPS, ToF-SIMS, etc.
· demonstrate strong motivation, ambition and passion for academic research, teaching, grant writing and curriculum development.
· Provide an exemplary publication record.
The position is available immediately for two years with the possibility for extension or promotion upon satisfactory performance and mutual consent.
Candidates will send a single PDF (CV, brief research statement, 3 references) to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Process Engineer – MEMs / Micro-Optics Device Fabrication
Working closely with Manufacturing and Design Engineering, the individual filling this role is responsible for supporting and developing fabrication processes for our proprietary MEMS tunable optical devices and passive micro-optics. The scope of responsibility centers on device fabrication (MEMs or semiconductor processing) and characterization (understanding metrology and testing) along with data tracking & analysis and recommendations for continuous yield enhancement and cost reduction.
The position is hands-on and requires a high degree of cross-functional collaboration and teamwork both as a project lead as well as an individual contributor.
- Support wafer fabrication processes for MEMs and Micro-optics
- Implement, document and maintain in-process routings, work instructions, tests & specifications.
- Analyze correlations between processes (metrology data, process conditions and/or process variation) and performance (functional testing) throughout the entire value stream.
- Track variation and process capability throughout the value stream, identify and prioritize continuous improvement initiatives.
- Design and coordinate experiments for specification generation / revision and modeling compliance (specification flow-down analysis).
- Responsible for scrap dispositions and associated corrective actions.
- Review new specifications and analyze requirements against existing capabilities to estimate costs and yields for new products and applications.
- BS, MS or PhD in Electrical Engineering or a related engineering discipline.
- 2 years minimum engineering experience with Si wafer fabrication processes; MEMS device fabrication highly desired.
- Strong working knowledge of optics, optical MEMS devices or optoelectronic device processing.
- DOE or statistical process characterization experience a plus.
- Experience with electro-optical testing, data access and manipulation tools.
- Strong organizational and problem-solving skills.
AXSUN Technologies is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Current Opportunity at HyperLight Corporation:
Integrated photonics device lead at HyperLight
HyperLight is looking to revolutionize integrated photonic technologies through fundamental hardware innovation. As a venture capital funded startup company from Harvard University, HyperLight is redefining what is possible in modern telecommunication, sensing, and quantum technologies that are demanding more than what integrated photonics technology can offer today. At HyperLight, you will become part of a highly motivated, welcoming and open minded team composed of leading experts from material science, nanofabrication to applications of integrated photonics. We like to think and perform outside the box and to tackle some of the most challenging yet deeply rewarding problems of integrated photonics.
If you are interested in pushing the limits of integrated optical devices and revolutionizing their applications through hardware innovation, we are looking for you to join HyperLight’s core team as a device lead. We offer competitive salary and benefits.
At HyperLight, your core responsibility will be:
- Designing, building, and testing lithium niobate electro-optic and nonlinear optical devices
- Working closely with the production team to translate the prototype devices into manufacturable products.
- Pushing the limits of electro-optic device performances
This role requires
- PhD in Electrical Engineering, Applied Physics or related fields (exceptions can be made for very experienced candidates).
- Deep understanding of optical device physics in integrated photonics
- Substantial cleanroom experience in device fabrication
- Experience with CAD & electromagnetic simulation software
- A strong sense of responsibility and project management skills
- Hands on approach for work
- Authorization to work in the US
- 2 year + semiconductor experience in industry
- Project experiences: electro-optics, microwave circuit fabrication, packaging